For health professionals
DACAS (VIC) 1800 812 804
DACAS (TAS) 1800 630 093
DACAS (NT) 1800 111 092
The Drug and Alcohol Clinical Advisory Service (DACAS) is a 24 hour, 7 day specialist telephone consultancy service available to all health professionals in Victoria, Tasmania and the Northern Territory.
The service provides clinical advice to health professionals who have concerns about the clinical management of patients and clients with alcohol and other drug problems.
Initial enquiries to the DACAS service are handled by professional drug and alcohol counsellors. If the enquiry is medical in nature it will be referred to a DACAS consultant who will be paged to provide a secondary consultation. The consultants are experienced addiction medicine specialists.
DACAS consultants aim to respond to the call within one hour, or as soon as possible if the matter is urgent.
DACAS can provide assistance with any drug and alcohol issue including:
- medical management of withdrawal syndromes
- substitution pharmacotherapy and other prescribing issues
- medical and nursing management of intoxication and toxicity
- management of medical and psychiatric complications associated with drug and alcohol use
- drug interactions
- pain management.
For the general public
DirectLine (VIC) 1800 888 236
Alcohol & Drug Information Service, ADIS: (TAS) 1800 811 994
ADIS: (NT) 1800 131 350
DirectLine and the ADIS services are 24-hour, seven day counselling, information and referral helplines for people concerned about a drug and alcohol problem. These services are free (from a landline), anonymous and confidential and staffed by professional counsellors experienced in alcohol and drug-related concerns.
DirectLine and ADIS counsellors can provide:
- Immediate counselling and support, including crisis intervention
- Support in dealing with the impact of drug use on the family and relationships
- Assistance to develop strategies to deal with an alcohol or drug problem
- Harm minimisation strategies
- Information and referral to treatment and support services across Victoria.
Counselling Online is a 24-hour, 7 day a week free online counselling service providing real time counselling about alcohol or drug related issues. The service operates Australia-wide and available to Australian residents who are concerned about a drug or alcohol problem.